Shel Silverstein

An American poet once quoted


“If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!”

Friday 12 October 2012

Family Matters - Exhibition

Family old, family new......Who am I?

My course group in college and I have been asked to contribute to the exhibition installation at the Tate Britain titled LABEL -'Family old, family new...who am I?' as part of the Great British Art Debate.

Tate Britain link.

http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-britain

'Family Matters, is an exhibition touring Norwich, Sheffield, Newcastle and London (Tate Britain). Family Matters explores the changing nature of family and how it is represented in British art. It includes public displays of dynasty, depictions of private relationships, idealised visions of domestic life and images of the fragmented reality that is family life today.'

I am to create around 20 pieces of work in a cross platform of mediums to produce a body of work on the title themes -

Family Saturday
Self Portrait Profile
Old Family Photos

This is an exploration of Identity and Britishness in the representation of myself and my family old and new. Depicting what Britishness in art means to me through my own work and life.

We will be working with artist Tracey Moberly to create this exhibition, 'she is an interdisciplinary artist, writer and was co-owner of Shoreditch's legendary hangout, The Foundry. She lectured in Art at Manchester Metropolitan University before moving to London and where she is now a visiting lecturer in activism and politics. She has staged several exhibitions of her work in texts and hosts the weekly arts radio programme The Late Late Breakfast Show.'

Images Tracey has given us as inspiration and to research into:-

Robert Braithwaite Martineau The Last day in the old home

The Last Day In The Old Home



The Misses Vickers



In The House Of My Father



The Bradshaw Family



Rays A Laugh (Photo set)



The Last Resort 25 (Photo set)







No comments:

Post a Comment